It' so funny that I talked about this in class today. I totally agree with the author when she says that it is the most irritating thing when people say that black women are unlikely to marry. The author of this article was 30 and I'm only 21 and it bothered me. Not all women are in a rush to get married and not all women have found a man that they are ready to marry. This article made some very valid points. I feel like stereotypes and trying to figure out what a man wants in a woman, are some hold ups of the possibility of marriage. I don't think people realize that it is the man's choice becuase traditionally, the man proposes to the women, which means HE will have to choose a women that he is ready to be with for the rest of his life. Stereotypes have made many women insecure, to leave them feeling, that they are not desired by black men. Its so ironic her aunt has makes the slave field house notion when she states, " Maybe if you'd straighten your hair, you'd be able to find a man." Why is that people feel that women can't be natural and be desired by black men.
This article gives some very important, but surprisingly not shocking statistics. 70.5 percent of black women have never been married, but of those women, they are between the ages of 25-29. This is ironic to me because I initally said that I wanted to be married by the age of 25. This article proved me hypothesis right, in that the percentages of marriages overall are declining in America. It also states that people who have not married in their lifetime are minority period, no matter the race. I really enjoyed this article and hopefully there is hope for not only black marriages, but for all mariiages.

No comments:
Post a Comment