Saturday, February 18, 2012

Being a Man About It: Manhood Meaning Among African American Men

(A) The four ways that Manhood is defined in this article is:
Manhood as an Interconnected State of Being
-Many black men believe that manhood is interconnected between himself, family and others. I would have to say I agree because the man is the head of the household and his own morals and values will determine how he will protect and provide for his family.
(2) Manhood as a Fluid Developmental Process
-Manhood is viewed as developing ones character. I do agree that maturity and wisdom grows with experience. This is ironic that this article brings tihs up because, men mature slower than girls. This highlights that manhood means developing a true and honest character: something that is lacking in the black community today.
(3) Manhood is a redemptive process
-This describes how men redeem themselves from past experience. I definately agree with this this because I feel as if you make that transition from a boy to a man when you realize the mistakes you have made and change and better yourself. Being able to mature and put childish things aside, as the bible states helps men define their man.
(4) Manhood as a Proactive Course
-Setting a set of positive life actions helps define manhood. Connecting with others and redefining the negative conotations that are associated with being a man. Changing and showing each other how to love and show emotion-something that is usually looked down upon.

Redefining the meaning of manhood, in my opinion, will help redefine and reestablish not only the black man, but the black family.

(B) The top two themes that emerged from this article was Responsibility and Accountibility. I can honestly say that Yes, it is an answer that I expected. I feel as if every man knows that they are the lead and should be accountible and responsible for their actions. I am actually happy that this was the top two answers; it gives me a sense of hope1

No comments:

Post a Comment