Wednesday, January 18, 2012

After reading Herbert's article, I was eager to discuss it with my group. I thought it was a good article that made really good points. I really liked how Herbert made the connection between slavery and how it affects African American families, especcially men. I agree with some points in the article such as, "Another devastating aspect of slavery was the numbing ignorance that often resulted from the prohibition against the education of slaves. It was against the law in most instances for slaves to even read." I really do feel like this has a lot to do with why many African-Americans don't value their education. Now public education is free and not appreciated. Many young african-american men rather turn to illegal activites rather than focus on their education and make something out of themselves. These types of patterns and lifestyles are adding to the growing statistics of how many african-american men are behind bars today. Many of today's attitudes and patterns can be traced back to what happened in slavery. Finally, I disagree with Herbert on his perspective on a needed civil rights movement becuase I feel like it would be a repeat of history and the cause of more chaos and separation. I do feel like there should be a movement within the African-American Communitiy to push them to do better and utilize the opportunities that they have. It should be an enlightenment, not a protest or fight, like some of the events during the 1960's Civil Rights Movement.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I agree with your comments about how African Americans were/are stereotyped which still affects them to this day. I also enjoyed how you brought up the point of education in Herbert's article. It is an important topic to discuss further because a lack of education most likely leads to a cycle of poverty for many minorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.
    Rose (class TA)

    ReplyDelete